1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am
prepared to give my life in their defense.
I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members
of my command while they still have the means to resist.
2. If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to
escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
3. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information
or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take
command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me, and will back them
up in every way.
4. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give only name, rank,
service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of
my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or
harmful to their cause.
5. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions,
and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in
the United States of America.
Back to North Carolina Military Page